Dress a Girl in Kenya

Hi everyone,

It’s Monday and the start of a fresh week. Let’s make it special! So I thought it would be a perfect time to launch a new rewarding sewing initiative. Sewing for joy!

Last week I showed you the Ankara dress I had sewn for my little daughter, and many of you shared my happiness as a mum.

All little girls dream of wearing pretty dresses, but some have lost their mums, and for the most destitute even owning just a single dress seems to be out of reach. Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could help some of them to make that dream come true??

A few days ago, I met Louise of sew scrumptious  promoting a great idea by an international NGO  called Dress a Girl Around the World’,  and I am excited to share it with you today and invite you to join me in bringing it to life in Kenya.

www.karmayatra.com

pic courtesy of karma yatra
My aim is to form a group of dedicated people to sew a few dresses to be donated to needy girls such as little orphans living in children’s homes with limited means. And if you are interested , I would love to hear from you.

Anyone can participate. No exceptional sewing skills are required, the patterns are for very-easy-to-sew dresses including made from pillow cases patterns or adapted from it and pretty much having fun with it . check out the easy to follow tutorial for the dresses

We would be part of a world-wide network of sewing groups which to date has sewn and delivered over 164,000 dresses to 65 countries. You can check out their website  for further information.  I have identified a few homes for the dresses and i am open to more suggestions, If this initiative appeals to you, like it does to me, I am looking forward to your comments and suggestions. Either directly to this post or through an email to stylebysilviakenya@gmail.com .

so if you like to sew , and you would like to put a smile on a little girl, this is the project for you

pics of the cute pillow case dresses after the jump

dress a girl

pic courtesy of dress a girl around the world UK

have a great week ahead!

Silvia

xox

1. I love the idea and would love WM to be part of it.
    Let me know if thats ok, though am not the one who will be doing the actually sewing!

2. Louise Horler says:

Lovely blog post! So great to have people making dresses in Kenya. Thats fab! Will share on the Dress A Girl UK facebook page! xx

3. Good luck with setting up a group in Kenya. It’s a great initiative.

4. beauty says:

glad to be part of this keep da good work silvia

5. Lucy says:

Amazing thing you are doing. How can i assist?

6. Niels says:

great initiative, all the best !

7. Keshi says:

Awesome initiative!!! Wishing you the best!

8. anastasia wanjiru njoroge says:

would love to be part of this noble course Silvia. I do know how to sew. is it possible to take part over the weekends?

9. Damaris says:

Hi,ve read the tutorial and my only request is that you give hand-stitch options for those of us who want to take part but don’t own or know how to use a sewing machine 0_o A short pictorial tutorial on which hand stitches to use will be fantastic 8) Otherwise I can knit,will scarfs suffice?

• Silvia says:

Hey Damaris, thank you , I could and will definiately look into this and share with you ;) whatever else you can do on the side , will be highly appreciated.

10. diana wangeshi says:

love this would like to be part of this noble course!congrats

11. Esther Musa says:

Hi Sylvia, I love how you’ve started a DIY blog, at least I don’t have to go to MimiG Style every-time, :). I would love to be a part of this project, but I don’t have a sewing machine yet. Is there any other way I can help out? Please get back. Thanks and have a lovely evening.

Trackbacks for this post