[su_dropcap style=”simple”]L[/su_dropcap]ately, I have increasingly tended to rely on some of the household products available in my kitchen and around the house for beauty purposes, They are natural, safe and affordable. Lemons are however not new to my beauty regime; they are among my absolute favourites. I always have lots of lemons and lime in my fruit basket. They are affordable and available pretty much everywhere, I will try not get into the scientific hullabaloo, but be as straight forward as I can in sharing with you what has worked for me.
1. As a teenager battling blackheads, I found that lemons are also natural skin cleansers and very effective and easy to use. Just by mixing 5 five tablespoons of water with three tablespoons of lemon juice and dabbing the mixture on my face with cotton wool every second or third day before going to bed religiously for close to three years after high school, helped treat my teenage blackheads and acne.
2. I always start my day with a cup of warm water with a couple of slices of lime. Whenever I do this religiously for 2 or 3 weeks, I notice a great difference in how my skin feels and looks. I do this just by squeezing a quarter of lemon or lime in my mug of hot water.
3. Sometimes I add 3 tablespoons of honey to 2 tablespoons of lime juice to give it the perfect consistency for a DIY home face mask.
4. I have also recently been rubbing my armpits gently with a slice of lemon when I shower . It’s incredible how after 8 months, my armpits have lightened up noticeably since I began this simple treatment. I start my shower by rubbing lemon under my armpits and rinsing it off after my normal shower routine.
5. A teaspoon of grated lemon rind, plus one tablespoon of brown sugar mixed in with a bit of olive oil and a squeeze of lime juice is one of my favorite face scrubs.
I am not in any way religious with these practices, but whenever I follow these easy practices, my skin always thanks me. I generally prefer to use the yellow lemons as they are juicier, but the green ones are great too, more affordable and locally more available. I would love to hear some of your at-home beauty treatments that have worked for you.